[SCIP] Setting relative gap in FiberSCIP and ParaSCIP

Vladimir V. Voloshinov vladimir.voloshinov at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 01:06:43 CEST 2023

Dear Yuji,
excuse for bothering you, but I see that SCIP Opt. Suite 8.0.3  includes UG
1.0 already.
I see that the parameter CheckGapInLC, which we tried to use, has been
excluded from the list of UG options, so it seems that some changes with
"gap management" happened...
But I see that the gap set in the scip.set file does not affect FiberSCIP
which still solves problem till zero gap.
Moreover, I see in ug/src/ug_scip/scipParaSolver.cpp, lines #1259,#1260,
that "limits/gap" and "limits/absgap" are "hardcoded" to be 0...
Maybe we missed something, but is it possible to set a non zero gap for
FiberSCIP (and ParaSCIP) now, since version 8.0.3? It is very important in
some circumstances...

Best regards,
Vladimir

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 5:36 PM Yuji Shinano <shinano at zib.de> wrote:

> Hi Sergey,
>
> On 12.09.22 16:17, Sergey Smirnov wrote:
> > Thank you for checking my instance.
> >
> > We also tried setting CheckGapInLC=TRUE but it did not help either.
>
> Thanks for testing it, too. Probably, I tried to implement it once,
> but I had some issues realizing it. Before UG version 1.0,
> UG was a bit hard to specialize for a specific "base solver"
> parallelization.
> In current UG version 1.0, it is easy to implement some features
> specialized to a specific "base solver".
> I will let you know when I add the feature to FiberSCIP and ParaSCIP.
>
> Best,
> Yuji
>

> >> On 11 Sep 2022, at 17:42, Yuji Shinano <shinano at zib.de> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Sergey,
> >>
> >> Thanks for the instance and configuration. I checked it.
> >> Sorry, in the current implementation of FiberSCIP and ParaSCIP,
> controlling it only with the SCIP parameter looks difficult when it takes
> time to solve
> >> (if it can be solved in the racing stage, the "NoPreprocessingInLC =
> TRUE" might work).
> >> And it looks like the setting SCIP parameters for that is not good for
> FiberSCIP and ParaSCIP in a sense how it work is not clear.
> >> I will add the feature rather UG side in the future. I think it can not
> control vividly, but when LC recognized that gap is reached,
> >> then LC interrupts all computations from the UG side.
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >> Yuji
> >>
> >> --------------
> >> Hi Yuji,
> >>
> >> Here are the instance and configuration files attached.
> >>
> >> Thank you in advance,
> >> Best regards,
> >> Sergey

> check it.

> TRUE in ug.set but both fscip and parascip still solved till zero gap.

> solves the presolved instance in the Solvers.
> you would like to control the gap more precisely,
> decrease its performance.

> problem.cip -s scip.set  scip stops after reaching the gap specified.
> However, fscip and parascip seem to ignore this parameter. For example, I
> run fscip the following way and it solves until optimality:

> >> --
> >

> --

Vladimir V. Voloshinov,
Ph.D, head of lab. C-3 "Distributed computing algorithms",
http://www.iitp.ru/ru/researchlabs/1040.htm,
Center for Distributed Computing, Institute for Information Transmission
Problems RAS, http://www.iitp.ru
web: GoogleScholar profile
<https://scholar.google.ru/citations?hl=en&user=-m4QhNEAAAAJ&view_op=list_works&sortby=pubdate>