[SCIP] Linearization of product of two variables

Stefan Vigerske svigerske at gams.com
Mon Jul 10 09:44:38 CEST 2023

Hi,

most basically, it would introduce a new variable for each product and
then under- and overestimate it with linear cutting planes (McCormick:
https://optimization.cbe.cornell.edu/index.php?title=McCormick_envelopes).
These depend on the bounds on x and y, so to close the gap introduced by
estimating the product, SCIP may choose to branch on some x or y. The
reduced domain in the children means that tighter cutting planes can be
generated.
But then there are additional techniques, in particular RLT, that aim to
deal with these nonlinearities.

For an overview on the MINLP capabilities in SCIP, see
https://arxiv.org/abs/2301.00587
<self-promotion>The slides from
https://www.gams.com/~svigerske/2023_minlp.pdf may also be useful, in
particular the example from page 80 (slide 25) on.</self-promotion>

Stefan