[SCIP] A few questions on SCIP_VARSTATUS

Rolf van der Hulst r.p.vanderhulst at utwente.nl
Mon Feb 19 11:10:48 CET 2024

Hi all,

I am developing a presolving method which is meant to be called late in
the presolving process, after other presolvers have been called, and
works on the entire constraint matrix.

I have the following questions,

1. SCIP_VARSTATUS has the values SCIP_VARSTATUS_LOOSE and
SCIP_VARSTATUS_COLUMN for variables in the transformed problem.
 From the documentation, it is not clear to me how these differ from
each other. How do these two differ in SCIP?

2. Which status types from SCIP_VARSTATUS are allowed in transformed
constraints returned by SCIP?

3. What is the correct way, in presolving, to access the (so far)
presolved constraint matrix formed by all linear constraints of the
problem? I see a lot of implementations in SCIP call SCIPmatrixCreate(),
but there is no documentation pointing to this method. Should I use
this, or are there other alternatives?

4. Is there a method which returns only the set of active variables in
SCIP? If I understand correctly, the active variables are those that are
not fixed or aggregated during presolving. (SCIPgetActiveVars() returns
only the active counterparts)

Best,

Rolf van der Hulst
University of Twente