[SCIP] Question on symmetry handling with additional plugins

Marc Pfetsch pfetsch at mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Feb 23 18:53:53 CET 2024

Hi Matheus,

the crucial point is whether and how symmetries are detected. This
depends on the SCIP version:

- Beginning with the upcoming SCIP 9 your constraint handler needs to
implement callbacks that give information about the symmetries of your
constraints to SCIP. Then symmetries can be handled automatically.

- In the "older" SCIP versiosn, your new constraint handler will disable
symmetry detection, because SCIP does not have any symmetry information
about your constraint. Thus you would need to add orbitope constraints.
I do not think that there is an example, but you need a matrix of binary
variables on which a full symmetry group acts by permuting the columns.

Best

Marc