[Opt-Net] Deadline extended 18th Mar: Full UK PhD scholarships (open to UK/EU candidates) in OR/ evolutionary computation/optimisation/ IoT/machine learning/data analytics/ simulation/computational intelligence/transportation/logistics

Nguyen, Trung Thanh T.T.Nguyen at ljmu.ac.uk
Thu Feb 25 16:06:51 CET 2021

Dear Colleagues,

My apologies for cross-posting.
Thanks to an arisen opportunity, we at the Operational Research (OR) group, Liverpool John Moores University (United Kingdom) may be able to offer a small number of PhD scholarships (full or tuition-fees-only depending on the quality of the candidate).
Only UK and EU candidates are eligible due to funding conditions.

     *   Deadline 18th Mar 2021
     *   provide full tuition fees and living expenses for three years,
     *   students have to relocate to Liverpool and enrol by end of April 2021
Regarding research topic, priorities are given to two industry co-funded projects:

  1.  Portfolio optimisation for energy supply chain: Candidates for this project should have excellent programming skills in C++ or a similar object-oriented programming language, and strong expertise in optimisation using meta-heuristic/heuristic algorithms.
  2.  Data analytics and machine learning for transportation, utilising data from real-time sensors: Candidates for this project should have strong programming skills in Python or a similar programming language, web development experience, and knowledge in data analytics. Good experience in machine learning, optimisation, and back-end development would be strongly preferred.

Besides the two industry co-funded projects above, any area in OR/optimisation/simulation/data analytics/computational intelligence/IoT/ transportation/logistics would be considered. Please have a look at this link for some example of our current/past projects on air quality and green transportation https://tinyurl.com/y67eddrw . Other projects that we have been/ are running include:

  *   Evolutionary computation or meta-heuristics or heuristics
  *   OR/optimisation/simulation/data analytics applications in rail, in partnership with Merseyrail, Network Rail, and Rail Delivery Group
  *   OR applications/data analytics in maritime, in partnership with UK, EU and overseas ports
  *   OR applications/data analytics in sustainable transportation, e.g. bicycle, e-bikes, walking, buses, emission/congestion reduction etc., in partnership with local authorities and transport authorities (e.g. the ones in Liverpool and Manchester)
  *   OR applications in logistics (e.g. bin packing, vehicle routing etc.) in partnership with logistics companies, especially those in airports, ports, and manufacturing plants (especially those in Liverpool).
  *   OR applications in manufacturing, in partnership with car manufacturers e.g. Vauxhall and Jaguar Land Rover.
  *   IoT and intelligent sensors for active travel. We have developed a number of applications on this and already have a network of IoT sensors across Liverpool City Region.
Interested candidates please contact Prof. Trung Thanh Nguyen T.T.Nguyen at ljmu.ac.uk<mailto:T.T.Nguyen at ljmu.ac.uk> with your full CV and transcripts. It is important that interested candidates contact me ASAP to ensure that we can prepare your applications in the best way to maximise your chance before the deadline.

Could you please forward this to any interested candidates?

Thank you very much

Best regards

Thanh

Prof. Trung Thanh Nguyen,
Professor of Operational Research in Transportation
Co-director of the Liverpool Logistics Offshore and Marine Research Institute (LOOM),
School of Engineering
Liverpool John Moores University
Tel: +44 151 231 2006
Web: https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/about-us/staff-profiles/faculty-of-engineering-and-technology/department-of-maritime-and-mechanical-engineering/trung-thanh-nguyen

Important Notice: Liverpool John Moores University was established as a Higher Education Corporation under section 121 of the Education Reform Act 1988. Further information about Liverpool John Moores University can be found at https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/about-us The information in this email and any attachments is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to an intended recipient, you should delete it from your system immediately without disclosing its contents elsewhere and advise the sender by returning the email or by telephoning a number contained in the body of the email. No responsibility is accepted for loss or damage arising from viruses or changes made to this message after it was sent and the recipient must ensure that the email (and attachments) are virus free. The views contained in this email are those of the author and not necessarily those of Liverpool John Moores University. We will use the personal data information provided by you to respond to your email. For information about how we process personal data and monitor communications please see our Privacy Notice. https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/legal/privacy-and-cookies