[Scip] unexplainable behaviour of probing

Tobias Achterberg achterberg at zib.de
Mon Aug 3 19:02:44 MEST 2009

Hi Frank,

to give a comprehensive answer I had to take a closer look at the source code, but to make
it short: probing is (in its current implementation) not allowed to be called in a pricer.

To give you some clue on what is happening:

At the end of probing, the LP is reset and solved again to reproduce the solution status
in the LP solver. This is done in the method SCIPtreeEndProbing() in src/scip/tree.c. And
this method also updates the lower bound of the current node using the LP objective value.
But because the LP objective value is not a valid lower bound in the presence of a pricer,
I guess that this gives you a wrong result.

You could try and just remove the line

            SCIP_CALL( SCIPnodeUpdateLowerboundLP(tree->focusnode, set, stat, lp) );

from the SCIPtreeEndProbing() code. Actually, I don't think that this line is needed
anyway, but the final decision has to be made by the SCIP developers. But please give it a
try and see what happens...

Tobias