[Scip] LP errors during branch and price and probing

Timo Berthold berthold at zib.de
Thu Jul 2 15:30:49 MEST 2009

Hi Frank.

Retcode -6 means SCIP_LPERROR (see type_retcode.h).
The typical case when this is returned is that the underlying LP solver was
not able to solve the current LP, e.g., because it got stuck at a singular
basis.

This raises three questions:
1. Which LP solver are you using?
2. Which method in SCIP actually throws the error?
3. Have you any reason to believe that your LPs might be somehow nasty for an
LP solver, e.g. a multi-level objective, large coefficients are highly
degenerated vertices?

What you can try to debug is to write the problematic LP by calling
SCIPwriteLP() when the error occurs. But probably the LP solver will solve it
when being called from scratch, since the solution path is completely
different.

Best, Timo