[Scip] Getting the vbctool to work in Ubuntu (and probably other derivations of Linux)

Tue Christensen TUEC at asb.dk
Sun Apr 3 11:41:35 MEST 2011

Hello Scip mailling list!

If you have a working installation of the vbc (for visualizing the branching tree), or you do not care for it, you can disregard this post.

Scip supports the nice (but rather old) program called VBC for visualizing the branch and bound tree. However, downloading and trying to execute the Linux executables from the webpage did not work on my Ubuntu 10.10. Getting the source packages is not an option, since the link is dead.
Here are the steps I made to make the program work with an almost fresh out of the box Ubuntu installation.

1) Get the Open Motif library (libmotif3, maybe not necessary) and the OSF/Motif 2.1 (lesstif2). This is also stated on the webpage, but I missed it the first time.
2) However, the newest installation of lesstif2 does not include the shared library used (libXm.so.1). One fix is to go to /usr/lib and create a symbolic link to the newest version by "ln -s libXm.so.2 libXm.so.1", hence we in reality just uses the .so.2 library instead.
3) Get the old (!) package called "libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2". Note it might have some additional numbers afterwards as well, in my case the full name was "libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2_2.95.4-24_i386" and can be found in the package repository for Ubuntu 6.10. Install the package.
4) As before we have to make a symbolic link in /usr/lib. This time do "ln -s libstddc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3".

The installation should now work! When opening it might state that "Symbol '_XmStrings' has different size than...", it does not seem critical however. If you still have troubles running the program try "ldd ./vbctool" to see what library is not found.

Note, by the linking of new libraries as the old ones strange things could happen if the new libraries are not fully backwards compatible. My few try's with vbctool did, however, not reveal any such.

I hope this will save at least one person's Saturday evening!

Best regards,

Tue R. L. Christensen,
Aarhus University, Denmark

--
The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and privileged material.

Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of,or taking of any action in reliance upon, this informationby persons or entities other than the intended recipientis prohibited.

If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.