[Scip] Minimal infeasible set

Marc Pfetsch m.pfetsch at tu-bs.de
Tue Aug 23 17:31:08 MEST 2011

Hi Stefan,

SCIP currently does not support this. It is on our feature wishlist, but
it may take some time until it will be available. (I have rudimentary
code, but have not found the time to make it ready to be usefull.)

The complexity severly depends on whether you have integral variables or
not.

1. If you do not have integral variables, the problem is relatively easy
to solve: You can write down a linear inequality system arising from the
Farkas Lemma and compute a feasible basis. The support of the solution
provides you a minimal set.

2. If you have integral variables, the problem is NP-hard, but there
exist heuristics to compute a minimal set of constraints that create
infeasibility, e.g. O. Guieu and J. Chinneck, "Analyzing Infeasible
Mixed-Integer and Integer Linear Programs", INFORMS J. Comput. 11, 63-77
(1999).

In case 2 you would need to reimplement the heuristics, wait until SCIP
supports this feature, or resort to a commercial solver (I hope you do
not seriously consider this).

Best,

Marc