[Scip] [Fwd: Re: Reject "feasible" solutions]

Markus Leitner leitner at ads.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Feb 3 15:47:26 MET 2011

Hi Timo and Gerald,

On 02/02/2011 07:04 PM, berthold at zib.de wrote:
> Hi Markus.
>
>> Is there any way to reject a found solution, e.g. by some event handler?
> Well, you could use a small constraint handler, that only implements the
> checking and enforcement callbacks and rejects those solutions which you
> dislike.

Thanks, I'll try this.

> However, your description sounds like something else is dodgy. How do you
> add /remove these variables? Are they added to any (and what type of)
> constraints? Do you change the objective coefficient of any variables? How
> do you ensure that these variables will be zero at the end of the LP
> solve? Which heuristic(s) find(s) the unloved solutions? My wild guess is
> that it might be simple rounding.
>
> Cheers,
> Gerald and Timo

I am following the concept of 5-piecewise linear stabilization functions
(in the dual) as proposed in
* Ben Amor, Desrosiers: A proximal trust-region algorithm for column
generation stabilization, Computers & Operations Research 33, 910-927, 2006

If any of these additional variables is nonzero when the CG process
stops, this means that I am not inside the trust regions which then
needs to be updated.
All I would like to do is to modify the objective values of the nonzero
variables.
Since SCIP tells me that I am not allowed to do this (in this stage), I
am currently fixing these variables to zero and add new ones.
So far this workaround seems ok, as there are not too many such updates.
I am of course open for your suggestions on this ...

The unloved solutions are indeed found by simple rounding.
(I do, however, currently not include the more sophisticated primal
heuristics).

Regards,
Markus