[Scip] Bilinear Constraints

Timo Berthold berthold at zib.de
Tue Nov 29 10:30:03 MET 2011

Hi Todd.

Congrats, you found an optimal solution for your problem.
The warning that you get only states that SCIP cannot detect whether the
bilinear function is convex (concave) or not. This is done by testing the
matrix for positive (negative) semidefiniteness wherefor the eigenvalues
have to be computed. If a quadratic function is convex, one can use better
cuts and does not have to use underestimators, which often makes a big
difference in running time. However, SCIP solves the problem to global
optimality (if it solves it ;) ) in any case.

If you are satisfied with SCIP's performance, nothing has to be done.
Elsewise, you can install IPOPT (www.coin-or.org/Ipopt) and compile SCIP
with IPOPT=true (or use a precompiled binary from the SCIP homepage that
contains IPOPT). This automatically gives you LaPack and might even help
for nonconvex problems, since some heuristics benefit from having an NLP
solver present.

Cheers, Timo