[Scip] Using knapsack constraint in standalone solver

Stefan Heinz heinz at zib.de
Fri Sep 2 10:42:26 MEST 2011

Hi Daniel,

Thorsten just send me the LP file.

In SCIP a knapsack constraint has to have integer weights and an integer
capacity (internally these are "long long"). In your case that could be
achieved by multiplying all coefficients with
10^34 if I counted right. That, however, is way larger than
9223372036854775807 which is the maximum long long SCIP is using.
Therefore, your constraint cannot be represented as a SCIP knapsack
constraint. Hence, it is not upgraded and stays as a linear constraint.

Regarding the sub optimal solutions SCIP reports. That problem comes
also form these coefficients.

I just run your file an my laptop and got the following "optimal"
solution after 2 seconds

  objective value:                     83.7360499696736
x11                                                 1
(obj:3.43398720448515)
x12                                                 1
(obj:3.61091791264422)
x13                                                 1
(obj:3.71357206670431)
x14                                                 1
(obj:3.76120011569356)
x15                                                 1
(obj:3.85014760171006)
x16                                                 1
(obj:3.97029191355212)
x17                                                 1
(obj:4.07753744390572)
x20                                                 1
(obj:4.26267987704132)
x22                                                 1
(obj:4.36944785246702)
x23                                                 1
(obj:4.4188406077966)
x24                                                 1
(obj:4.48863636973214)
x26                                                 1
(obj:4.61512051684126)
x28                                                 1
(obj:4.67282883446191)
x34                                                 1
(obj:4.93447393313069)
x35                                                 1
(obj:5.00394630594546)
x38                                                 1
(obj:5.09375020080676)
x39                                                 1
(obj:5.11799381241676)
x40                                                 1
(obj:5.15329159449778)
x41                                                 1
(obj:5.18738580584075)

Best Stefan

PS: The default infinity value for SCIP is 10^20.