[Scip] [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: solution times]]

Timo Berthold berthold at zib.de
Mon Feb 25 06:19:09 MET 2013

tldr: sub-MIP heuristic stops earlier, leading to worse solution

Hi Todd,

this verifies the hypothesis from the first mail: In both cases,
Undercover stops at (close to) the given time limit.

Undercover is a heuristic that solves (500 nodes of) a sub-MIP. The time
limit of the MIQP gets passed to the sub-MIP. So, the sub-MIP gets stopped
prematurely, with a worse incumbent, leading to a worse solution in the
original problem.

If you wnat to see the output from the sub-MIP, you need to add a #define
SCIP_DEBUG in src/scip/heur_undercover.c This will create a SCIP log
within a SCIP log, which sometimes cna be a bit confusing to read (in
particular for scripts that are used to parse SCIP output). ;-)

If you want Undercover to get faster, what you could try is reducing the
parameter heuristics/undercover/maxnodes (which might not help if the
sub-MIP, e.g. is still in its oot node processing).

Cheers from Maldives
Timo