[Scip] Branching on variables in the original problem

Victor Miller victorsmiller at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 22:40:53 MET 2013

I'm in the process of writing (in Scip) a program to solve some difficult
IPs by using Dantzig-Wolfe with discretization.  Fortunately, in my case
the (large) discrete set X can be priced via a greedy algorithm.  I also
would like to experiment with branching on some of the variables of the
original problem.  They have the property that each choice (either 0 or 1)
will approximately cut the number of elements from X in half.  How would I
do that in Scip?  To do it I would want to attach some extra storage to
each node which would have an array of the branching decisions so far.  In
addition, if some of the variables in the restricted master problem at that
node are incompatible with the branch then I'd like to eliminate them from
that node.