[Scip] Slow LP re-optimization after branching

Xavier Schepler xavier.schepler at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 09:55:27 CET 2014

 Hi professor Lübbecke,

The B&P is working fine on small instances.
For some bigger instances, most of the computing time is spent in solving
linear relaxations of restricted master problems.

  Can you plot the objective function values (over iterations) of the
restricted master problem (to check whether you have strong tailing off)?

  Did you check dual variable development (you can plot this as well) to
check whether you have unstable duals?

Tailing off is a real problem, since an optimal value to the linear
relaxation of a master problem (v_mp) is attained in a few column
generation iterations,
but, the lagrangian bound is very far away, and needs many more iterations
to meet v_mp .

   However, you could tell us about your branching rule. Branch on master
vars (uah...) or on other information (like "original" vars)? Ryan-Foster?

Branching is done on original variables, and branching constraints are
added to the structural constraints,
as it is described in Gerald Gamrath thesis.

  Give us a little more detail. [BTW, you fix the *local* UBs of the vars,
right?]

  Well, I fix local upper bounds.

  Out of curiosity: what is "time limit"

I don't know exactly what the time limit is, but SCIP outputs :
LP solver hit time limit.

  and "a very long time?"

Maybe several minutes, which seems quite long for LP re-optimization.

I would like SoPlex to display information ...

Best regards,

Xavier