[Scip] Tweaking SCIP parameters for speed-up

Marco Lübbecke marco.luebbecke at rwth-aachen.de
Fri Jul 11 13:30:51 CEST 2014

Hi Sergey,

I would be interested not so much in the implementation, but in the
methodological background.

Firstly it estimates how long it takes to solve single problems with
> default parameters.

How would you do that, in particular for those runs that hit the time
limit? I believe a LOT of people would be interested in such an estimate.

> Then we do a single run (for every problem) for every special value (e.g.
> -1 or 0) of every parameter and two runs for ranged parameters (bigger and
> lower than default values). That is about 3000 runs for every problem in a
> test set so I use a cluster of virtual machines in a cloud for the
> computations. After this step the tool compares the impact which parameters
> and their values make on the solving time.

How? Considering a single parameter at a time? Or their combination? Or
pairs? Or ...

> Finally the tool takes four parameters (and their values) with the biggest
> impact and finds their best combination. This step is repeated for a fey
> times

"This step"? Why repeating the four-parameter-combinations? For taking into
account performance variability?

> and we get a settings file which speeds up computations noticeably for the
> given set of problems.

Cool. Still would be interested in details.

Take care
Marco

--
Prof. Dr. Marco Lübbecke