[Scip] Tweaking SCIP parameters for speed-up

Sergey Smirnov sasmir at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 16:39:34 CEST 2014

Hi Michael,

> You experienced a speed up factor of 2; on which test set or test
> instances, are these instances similar in their structure?

In all my tests I used sets of similar problems generated by AMPL. E.g. a set of ten traveling salesman problem stubs generated from the same model file but with different random seed.

> We are sure that parameter for a particular instance type can be improved,
> but how does your tuning works on an instances set like the MIPLIB?

Improving parameters for a particular instance type was the main use case for the tool when I was working on it. I think right now it is not very useful for the full MIPLIB at least because there are problems which hit limits with SCIP.

> Do you check the different results of the runs for feasibility/optimality
> or compare the solution value for each instance?

Yes, I compare the SCIP status and the primal value to the values from runs with default parameters.

> Is Turbo Boost and Hyper-threading disabled for your results and are the
> runs performed exclusively on a computer?

I run SCIP on virtual machines running under KVM hypervisor in a commercial cloud so I have no such control. The performance of a VM usually depends on the load made by other customers on the same hypervisor host. That is why I try to run SCIP with default parameters for every problem on every node. I can compare this time to other times I get on the same host.

Best regards,
Sergey