[SCIP] Differences between "active" and "enabled" of constraints

Gregor Hendel hendel at zib.de
Mon Dec 14 11:09:20 CET 2015

Dear Feng,

the best source to start with about such issues is maybe the How To on
Adding Constraint handlers in the documentation, where the description
of the corresponding callbacks CONSACTIVATE/DEACTIVATE and
CONSENABLE/DISABLE tells you what the flags mean.

Constraints are active as long as the search explores the subtree to
which they have been added. This is important for local constraints that
are only valid in a part of the search tree.

Enabled constraints are active constraints that have not been marked
"disabled" by their own constraint handler. Enabling is best understood
by understanding disabling, I am citing from SCIPdisableCons() in scip.h:

disables constraint's separation, propagation, and enforcing
capabilities, s.t. the constraint is not propagated,
  *  separated, and enforced anymore until it is enabled again with a
call to SCIPenableCons();
  *  in contrast to SCIPdelConsLocal() and SCIPdelConsNode(), the
disabling is not associated to a node in the tree and
  *  does not consume memory; therefore, the constraint is neither
automatically enabled on leaving the node nor
  *  automatically disabled again on entering the node again;
  *  note that the constraints enforcing capabilities are necessary for
the solution's feasibility, if the constraint
  *  is a model constraint; that means, you must be sure that the
constraint cannot be violated in the current subtree,
  *  and you have to enable it again manually by calling
SCIPenableCons(), if this subtree is left (e.g. by using
  *  an appropriate event handler that watches the corresponding
variables' domain changes)

Some constraint handlers use disabling of their constraints for a more
memory-efficient deactivation of separation, propagation, etc. than by
deleting the constraint locally. An example that is easy to understand
is a logicor-constraint, where one out of a set of binary variables must
be set to one. As soon as one variable from this set is fixed to one in
the current subtree, the constraint becomes redundant and therefore
disabled (locally). It remains present in order to be checked for
(global) feasibility, if it is a global constraint.

In the binpacking example, the first loop in the
addBranchingDecisionConss() method loops over samediff-constraints.
Since the constraint handler does not enable/disable constraints by
itself, the loop can simply skip non-active constraints.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Gregor