[SCIP] gap limit reached without solution

Benjamin Müller benjamin.mueller at zib.de
Thu Sep 3 16:48:43 CEST 2015

Dear Marko,

yes you are right, the behaviour is kind of strange. In this situation
SCIP does not even know that the problem is feasible. After analysing
your instance I saw that during presolving SCIP recognize that a linear
constraint is parallel to the objective. Thus the right hand side will
be used for the objective cutoff but unfortunately also for checking the
(absolute and relative) gap limit. I fixed this by checking the gap
limit only if SCIP has found at least one solution.

Should I send you a patch for this? Or do you use the windows binaries
of our homepage? I can compile and send them to you if you need them.

Best regards,

Benny

On 09/03/2015 09:56 AM, Horváth Markó wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm using SCIP-3.1.2 with SoPlex 2.2.0 on windows (but this problem
> also arises with SCIP-3.1.1 or SCIP-3.1.0).
>
> The problem arises when I want to solve certain MIPs with absolute gap
> limit.
> I have attached a small example file. In this MIP the optimal solution
> is equal to 0, and of course SCIP can solve easily. But when I set
> absolute gap to 11 (that is, set /limits/absgap/=11) SCIP terminates
> according to gap limit, but without solution:
>
> /SCIP Status        : solving was interrupted [gap limit reached]//
> //Solving Time (sec) : 0.01//
> //Solving Nodes      : 0//
> //Primal Bound       : +7.12610000000000e+000 (0 solutions)//
> //Dual Bound         : +0.00000000000000e+000//
> //Gap                : infinite
>
> /So, what I have got is trivially not correct, I guess.
> How can we reach gap limit without a feasible solution? And why do
> SCIP set finite primal bound without any feasible solution? (Okay, it
> is indeed an upper bound for the optimum (according to bounds 0 <=
> x417 <= 7), and it is lower than the absolute gap, but SCIP should not
> say that the gap limit reached since we have not got any solution.)
>
> Best regards,
> Marko

Benjamin Müller
Zuse Institute Berlin