[SCIP] [Scip] Question about column generation in scip

Gerald Gamrath gamrath at zib.de
Mon Sep 21 23:52:50 CEST 2015

Dear Saleh,

it is ok to add some of the variables already during problem creation
and then add others in pricing.

If you give the optimal solution as initial columns, this solution will
be found directly in the beginning, but its optimality still has to be
proven. And normally, there are other variables that help to improve the
LP solution when priced. If this would not be the case, you would
already be done without any branching. But often, you need some
branching to prove optimality, which implies that your root dual bound
is smaller (in case of minimization) than the optimum, so there are some
variables not contained in the optimal solution which can improve the LP
solution. In order to close the gap, you need to solve multiple node LPs
and potentially generate variables there.

In branch-and-bound (without price), you see a similar thing: If you
provide the optimal solution at the beginning of the solving process,
this speeds up the process, but you still need a significant amount of
branching for most of the instances.