[SCIP] Branch on slack variables

Gerald Gamrath gamrath at zib.de
Tue Jan 12 10:19:23 CET 2016

Hi Wei Kai,

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you want to change a constraint from,
say, less-equal to larger-equal? Every linear constraint in SCIP has a
left-hand side and a right-hand side. If you have an equation, both are
equal, if you have an inequality, either the lhs is -infinity or the rhs
is +infinity. You can change this to adjust your constraint sense, but
this is only allowed in the problem creation stage, once solving
started, you cannot change the lhs or rhs of a constraint anymore - this
constraint may have led to some nodes being cut off, you cannot just
relax it now and expect to get the correct solution.

But if you have the slack variable explicitly in your model, you could
just branch on it? On the other hand, you may create new linear
constraints and add them to a local node, but not change them.