[SCIP] implicit integer variables and custom branching

Georg Brandstätter georg.brandstaetter at univie.ac.at
Sun Apr 23 20:51:45 CEST 2017

Dear SCIP developers,

I have two questions that I hope you can help me with:

1) How exactly are continuous and implicit integer variables treated
differently?

I'm currently working with a branch-and-price model where the priced
variables are continuous. If I leave them continuous, the optimal
solution I find is fractional. Changing them to implicit integer gives
me an integral solution (with the same objective value) instead.
Is this because of some cuts that are added by SCIP, or is there
something else I'm missing?

2) Is there a way to use standard SCIP branching on fractional integer
variables together with an additional custom branching rule?

I'd like to use Ryan-Foster-style branching in the aforementioned B&P
model. However, I also have integer variables in my master problem and
I'd like to only use my custom branching rule if all these master
variables are already integral. Is there an easy way to do that?

I'm using the object-oriented C++ interface, in case that makes a
difference.

Thank you,
Georg