[SCIP] SOCP subproblems as heurstics

Benjamin Müller benjamin.mueller at zib.de
Tue May 30 09:11:10 CEST 2017

Dear Miles,

I guess the answer is a bit more complicated, because it kind of depends
which heuristics you are actually using in SCIP.

The most important heuristic in SCIP for MINLPs is sub-NLP. Basically, a
MIP heuristic is proposing an integer feasible solution, which violates
at least one nonlinear constraint. The sub-NLP heuristic is using the
proposed point as a starting point and fixes all (!) integer variables
to the corresponding values, presolves the remaining problem, and
finally calls a local NLP solver.

But not all heuristics fix all integer variables before solving a
nonlinear sub-problem. For example, nlpdiving iteratively fixes
fractional integer variables and resolve the NLP-relaxation. So, it
might happen that not all integer variables have been fixed, but a
feasible solution could be already found.

Cheers,
Benny