[SCIP] Too long solving time

Matthias Miltenberger miltenberger at zib.de
Fri Aug 17 12:00:27 CEST 2018

Dear Yu Chen,

your model has some numerical issues. The matrix coefficients are in the
of 1e-05 to 1e+11. Such a large range can easily cause difficulties and
violations in the final result.
To make matters worse, you are disabling presolving/simplification (-s0)
and enforce very small tolerances (1e-10).

Testing other solvers on this instances also yielded warnings and
violations due to the bad numerics.

My advice: Try to improve the model and verify that your result is
actually meaningful with regards to the problem. I don't think that such
a small tolerance is really required.

Oh and by the way: On my machine the model was solved within a second
using the standard tolerances and default settings.

Cheers
Matthias

On 17.08.2018 10:59, Yu Chen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to Soplex but I encountered a trouble when using it.
>
> I made a LP file and used the code in terminal:
>
> /build/bin/soplex -f1e-10 -o1e-10 -l1e-10 -s0 -x -q -c
>
> But the Soplex took nearly one day to solve it. Do you know how to
> decrease the solving time?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Yu

Matthias Miltenberger