[SCIP] How does branching affect pricing in SCIP

Benjamin Müller benjamin.mueller at zib.de
Thu Aug 30 11:10:11 CEST 2018

Dear Myroslav,

branching on a generated variable introduces a constraint whose dual
multiplier needs to be considered in the objective function of the
following pricing problems (when the added constraint is active). This
might change the nature of the pricing problems completely. Imagine a
branch-and-price example where the pricing problem is a classical
shortest path problem. Let z_P the variable corresponding to a path P
that has been generated. In the branch z_P = 0 you need to ensure that
your pricing problem doesn't generate P again. This changes your pricing
problem to a k-shortest path problem.

I left out most of the details, but there is plenty of literature about
branching rules in branch-and-price. An example of how a branching rule
interacts nicely with the pricing problem is shown in the Binpacking
example of SCIP, see here
<http://scip.zib.de/doc-6.0.0/html/BINPACKING_MAIN.php> for more details.

Best,
Benny