[SCIP] Support with setting up SCIP on Windows 7

Tuschik, Nils tuschik at campus.tu-berlin.de
Thu Dec 6 16:22:50 CET 2018

Dear ZIB team,

In order to use SCIP at my institute, I have to install it on a Windows 7 x64 machine. I have read that for solving MINLP's in general, downloading and installing SCIPOptSuite-6.0.0-win64-VS15.exe is not sufficient. I have also read that ZIMPL is also not included here. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

With my current install of SCIPOptSuite-6.0.0-win64-VS15.exe I can't even do the tutorial for the interactive shell (https://scip.zib.de/doc/html/SHELL.php), because downloading the instance stein27 from the MIPLIB 3.0 homepage gives an error 404.

So, I think I have to download the SCIP Optimization Suite archive and compile it myself. In order to do that, I have tried to find help in the official documentation. As recommenced, I installed CMake (Windows win64-x64 Installer). Now the documentation is full of commands, but CMake as I installed on my system does have a GUI.
Nevertheless, I tried to build the binaries with it, but packages are missing and I really don't know how to exactly add them. So, I also tried to do it with mingw and msys which seemed promising, since online tutorials helped me out.  But I got stuck here, too.
I also took a look into the INSTALL file. In the archive of this mailing list, I found two requests regarding Windows so far, neither of which answered my questions. Same for the FAQ.

Long story short, I'm struggling to understand how I can do the installation. There seem to be many ways of doing it, so that I feel kind of lost and don't really know, where to start. I am obviously not an expert.

I understand, here you can't really give in-depth instructions on how to setup my individual system, but maybe someone does have a step by step guide, as https://scip.zib.de/workshop2014/scip_install.pdf is also outdated, according to a previous reply by Matthias.

Or maybe there is even a seminary planned, or someone of your team could spend some time to help me set it up in person?

If not, I would also appreciate it, if you could send me more helpful weblinks, that I maybe have not found yet.

Thank you very much in advance, kind regards,

Nils Tuschik