[SCIP] Early branching in SCIP

Anna Melchiori melch.anna at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 13:45:40 CEST 2019

Good morning SCIP team,

I have implemented a Branch and Price approach with a dedicated pricing
routine and a branching strategy (in addition to the standard 0-1 branching
rule).
To speed up the pricing I want to test an early branching strategy so I'm
returning the pointer result=SCIP_DIDNOTRUN in my reduced cost methods
whenever a certain criteria is hit.
At this point I would like the constraint handler (mine first then the
standard 0-1) to be called to check feasibility of the approximate solution
and in case branch. If no candidate is found I'd like to go back and solve
to optimality the LP by column generation.

Could you please explain me what are the next steps SCIP implements
whenever a SCIP_DIDNOTRUN is given from the pricer?
So far this is not completely clear to me as I am getting different
behaviors (check method for primal/pseudo solutions, node is directly
discarded, no branch call)

Thank you so much!!
Have a nice day
Anna