[SCIP] Does SCIP use Ipopt as NLP local solver?

Stefan Vigerske svigerske at gams.com
Sat Apr 10 11:11:25 CEST 2021

Hi,

it depends on your build of SCIP whether you have included any or
several NLP solvers. SCIP mentions early in the log which external codes
it is linked with, so Ipopt would show up there if you have build SCIP
with Ipopt.
 From the 3 choices, Ipopt has highest priority, so you won't have to
set nlp/solver.

SCIP solves LP relaxations and runs primal heuristics. There are plenty
of the latter that look for feasible solutions to the MIP relaxation (LP
relaxation + integrality requirements). If such a solution is also
feasible for the nonlinear constraints, then the upper bound is updated.
The better the LP relaxation, the higher the chance that this happens.
Having a NLP solver enables additional primal heuristics that explicitly
take the nonlinear constraints into account, so the strength of the LP
relaxation is less crucial for the upper bound.

Stefan