[SCIP] A few questions on SCIP "concurrentopt" running mode

Vladimir V. Voloshinov vladimir.voloshinov at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 16:14:21 CEST 2022

Dear SCIP team members,
recently I built SCIP 8.0.1 with -DTPI=tny|omp (both options have been used
to compare performance and other features). Both SCIP applications enables
"concurrentopt" command.

A lot of questions appeared. But the following are most important:
1) What is the reason that concurrent mode brings (if any) very small
performance increase? Moreover, for some problem single-threaded SCIP
solves it, but "concurrent SCIP" runs and runs without any visible results.
2) How to get detailed log to see how concurrent solvers handle the problem?
I run SCIP with the same option "display/verblevel = 3", and
single-threaded "optimize" mode gives usual, detailed log, but
"concurrentopt" log is very brief.
E,g. for 4 threads (5% gap, it ran 924 seconds) I see the following
(preamble is skipped)
======================
initializing seeds to 1963210296 in concurrent solver 'scip-2'
initializing seeds to 1332858414 in concurrent solver 'scip-3'
initializing seeds to 1541326760 in concurrent solver 'scip-4'
starting solve in concurrent solver 'scip-3'
starting solve in concurrent solver 'scip-4'
starting solve in concurrent solver 'scip-2'
starting solve in concurrent solver 'scip-1'
concurrent solver 'scip-2' stopped with status gap limit reached
concurrent solver 'scip-1' stopped with status user interrupt
concurrent solver 'scip-4' stopped with status user interrupt
concurrent solver 'scip-3' stopped with status user interrupt
 time | mem |  dualbound   | primalbound  |  gap
  924s|3011k| 3.113715e-02 | 3.266507e-02 |   4.91%

SCIP Status        : solving was interrupted [gap limit reached]
Is it possible to get something similar to that output which, e.g.,
FiberSCIP gives?

Yours sincerely,
Vladimir Voloshinov.