[Opt-Net] RWTH OR (Aachen) and TomTom (Berlin) joint appointment, PhD or postdoc position

Marco Lübbecke marco.luebbecke at rwth-aachen.de
Mon Aug 27 10:07:05 CEST 2018

Research Assistant, PhD or postdoc position.

Full-time joint appointment (half/half) at

RWTH Aachen University
Chair of Operations Research

and

TomTom, Berlin

for three years, plus a possible extension.

The chair of operations research at RWTH Aachen University invites
applications for a full-time PhD or postdoc position as a research
assistant, to be filled for three years, plus a potential (and
desirable) extension. Members of our group have backgrounds in
discrete mathematics or theoretical computer science. Research
interests span the full range from foundational research to industry
strength applications. We work on combinatorial and integer
optimization, in particular decomposition methods, graph-based
optimization problems, machine learning, algorithm engineering, and
other methods-driven areas of operations research. Currently, we have
three postdocs, six research assistants and 25 student assistants
working at the chair.

In particular, we are collaborating in a larger project funded by the
German Federal Ministry of Economic Affairs with other Aachen
institutes and several companies. The project is about the creation of
a platform for e-mobility, including research on traffic, energy, and
charging station networks. Part of the work is to real-time forecast
demands and prices. A method mix of machine learning, data mining and
optimization will be necessary to apply. TomTom, Berlin, is our
partner in this project.

The position is a joint appointment, with two contracts, one at RWTH
Aachen University and one with TomTom in Berlin. You will spend part
of your time in Berlin, and parts in Aachen. Reasonably, these stays
come in chunks of several weeks each, but all this is flexible.

You graduated in mathematics or computer science (M.Sc. or comparable)
with distinction. You have a profound knowledge in optimization
(ideally combinatorial and integer optimization) and machine
learning. Your background is theoretically founded, but you are eager
to solve real practical optimization problems (and ideally you have
some support that you are capable of doing so). Your implementation
(and computer skills in general) are very good. You are reliable, take
responsibility, and you are a team player.

The official opening is here:
http://www.rwth-aachen.de/cms/root/Die-RWTH/Jobs-Ausbildung/Jobboerse/~kbag/JOB-Einzelansicht/file/23855/

Please apply until August 31, 2018 with a single PDF file of your
material. Additionally, send (a draft of) your most recent thesis as
PDF.