[Scip] Changing time limit during solving make SCIP freeze

Timo Berthold berthold at zib.de
Fri May 3 11:53:56 MEST 2013

Hi Aurélien,

Could you please distinguish in your description between the original
and the sub-SCIP instance.

What I understood:
You are using the original SCIP instance for Branch-and-price, have
implemented a pricer, which solves a sub-SCIP instance (as a plain MIP,
I assume).
When a solution is found in the sub-SCIP, you want to stop this sub-SCIP
and continue solving the original? How did you do this? The only ways I
see to change the time limit of the sub-SCIP during its solving is by an
event handler.

What might have happened:
May it be that you set the timelimit in the original and not in the
sub-SCIP?

What you might do:
Set a bestsol limit of 1 for the sub-SCIP, to stop after the first
solution. I would not use time limits within the pricing codes since
this destroys determinism.

Best
Timo