[SCIP] minimal irreducible infeasible subsystem

Ali Baharev ali.baharev at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 22:17:39 CET 2015

Hi Gregor,

Thanks for the advice.

Apparently this minuc feature is not what I was looking for; it does
not give a minimal irreducible infeasible subsystem (IIS). It seems to
me that with this minuc feature I can find a small set of constraints
that when dropped from the infeasible problem make the remaining
problem feasible.

To avoid the XY problem (http://xyproblem.info/), please let me
describe what I am doing. I am trying to find a minimal set of
constraints of an ILP that are necessary to find the same optimum that
we get when we solve the original ILP with all its constraints
included. (All the other constraints of the ILP can be dropped without
changing the optimum.)

My current hack is the following. I solve (minimize) the ILP, then I
add an artificial constraint. The body of this artificial constraint
is the body of the objective function, and this constraint demands
that the objective is 1 less than what we currently have at the
optimum. Of course, this is an infeasible ILP, the artificial
constraint made it infeasible. Then, I compute a minimal IIS. The
constraints in the IIS (minus the artificial constraint) are the
constraints I am looking for; all the other constraints of the
original ILP can be dropped without changing the optimum. (Probably my
hack is an overkill? Maybe I missed something obvious?)

Anyway, is there a way to get this set of rows that I am looking for
in the SCIP shell (without writing C++ code)?

Many thanks,

Ali