[SCIP] Warm starts and variable hints

Marco Correia marco.v.correia at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 15:29:33 CEST 2021

Hi all!

I have two questions:

1. Is there a way to know if SCIP really made use of the warm start I'm
passing? I'm currently doing something like this:

SCIPcreatePartialSol(p_env, &p_sol, NULL);
SCIPsetSolVal(p_env, p_sol, p_scip_var, val)
[repeat last line for all warm start variables]
unsigned int stored;
SCIPaddSolFree(p_env, &p_sol, &stored);
if (!stored)
std::cout << "Warm start solution was ignored.\n";

It seems stored is always true, but it doesn't look like the warmstart is
being helpful. Is there any way to know for sure?

2. Gurobi has "var hint" feature where one can associate a value with a
variable to guide search / improve heuristic. Is there anything like this
in SCIP?

Thanks!
Marco